Salary: $13.91 – $20.30 Hourly$13.91 – $20.30 Hourly
Location: Various locations throughout the City & County of Denver, COVarious locations throughout the City & County of Denver, CO
Job Type: On Call Regular
Department: Parks and Recreation (DPR)
Job Number: CA2583-16 13963
Closing: 9/12/2016 11:59 PM Mountain
The City and County of Denver – Parks and Recreation Department is seeking Community Recreation– Recreation Instructors (Part Time – On Call) for the 2016 season (April through October).
What is Community Recreation within the City and County of Denver?
Community Recreation provides programming and activities for a diverse group of youth, ages 5-16. The Community Recreation team is devoted to engaging the community through facilitating a wide variety of licensed programs and activities. These programs and activities include: After School Programming, Summer/Day Camps, Arts & Crafts, Performing Arts, Health & Wellness, Sports, Cooperative Non-Competitive Games, and Fitness (yoga, etc.). These programs and activities take place on-site at elementary schools, recreation centers and parks throughout the City and County of Denver. Programs operate Monday through Friday afternoons and evenings, with some Saturdays and/or Sundays for the track and/or cross country program. Summer programs run 6 to 8 hours, June through the beginning of August.
Will you be a great addition to the Community Recreation Team?
The Community Recreation team is devoted to actively engaging Denver’s youth through the facilitation of programming that promotes learning, health, and the development of important life skills in a fun and safe environment. Community Recreation Instructors will support and facilitate Community Recreation programming. These Instructors are devoted to enriching the community around them and are passionate about interacting positively with a diverse group of youth.
The current hiring rate for this position is $13.91 hourly.
Only Part Time opportunities are available.
Individual hours will vary between 10 to 30 hours per week.
We offer programming in all of our Recreation Centers throughout the city, so you may have the opportunity to work in more than one location (not required).
Interested? At the City and County of Denver you have the opportunity to work for a progressive public sector organization while building the community around you. Please review the qualifications and click the ‘Apply’ button at the top of the posting and/or visit: www.denvergov.org/jobs. Please make sure to complete the application in full.
Please Note: You will no longer receive communications via e-mail or regular mail regarding your application status. Please check your status throughout your application process by clicking HERE.
- Teach or instruct a variety of activities which may include; homework help, sports (including track and cross country), active games, arts and crafts, dance, drama, fitness, music and various recreational, educational, or cultural enrichment events.
- Provide and maintain a safe and supportive learning environment for all participants.
- Sets up and takes down necessary equipment prior to and after programs and activities.
- Facilitates programming and activities by following prescribed teaching methods and plans.
- Supervises participants and performs behavior management when necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- High School Diploma or GED certificate
- AND a minimum of 6 hours of college coursework in a recreation field, information technology, elementary or secondary education, psychology, sociology, or related field.
- 1 year of experience as a teacher, tutor, counselor, or coach in an organized recreation program, education setting or related field.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement
- Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirement except for the high school diploma/GED Certificate.
- Appropriate volunteer experience may be substituted. Please note: This experience must be detailed in the “Work Experience” portion of the application in order to be considered in meeting minimum qualifications.
- By position, a valid Colorado Driver’s License may be required.
- Applicants should have, or be able to obtain, CPR/First Aid Certification, within 6 months of hire.
- Experience in instructing and/or facilitating the aforementioned Community Recreation programs and activities
- Minimum of 960 hours of experience working directly with youth
- Some experience working with youth with disabilities.
- Experience in behavior management and supervision of youth, ages 5 – 16
- Experience in facilitating programming for and/or instructing youth, ages 5 – 16
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification
- Bilingual skills
Classification Title: Recreation Instructor – On Call [CA2583]
Working Title: Community Recreation – Recreation Instructor (Part Time – On Call)
Pay Grade: 607-A
Pay Range: $13.91 – $20.30 Hourly
Agency: Parks and Recreation
To Apply: Please select the apply button at the top of this posting / visit: www.denvergov.org/jobs
Assessments / Testing: This position may require an online or in-person assessment. If testing is required, you will receive an email from AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org with further information about the testing process after the position has closed. Please add AssessmentTeam@denvergov.org to your safe sender list and check you spam or junk mail for this email. For a list of positions that require testing and more information about our testing process, click here.
Pre-employment Screening: An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by law and City and County of Denver policies, including the successful completion of a background check. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and other verifications required for the position which may include, but are not limited to, employment and/or education verification, motor vehicle record check, drug test, and/or physical. The existence of a conviction does not automatically disqualify an individual from employment except where federal or state law or regulations prohibit employment of an individual with certain convictions. For more information about the selection and employment screening process, click here.
Probationary Period: This position may require the selected candidate to complete at least a six month probationary period prior to attaining career status with the City & County of Denver. For more information about the probationary period, click here.
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
|Curtis Garrett | Recreation CoordinatorParks and Recreation | City and County of Denver
720.865.0845 Phone | 720.865.0841 Fax
firstname.lastname@example.org | Dial 3-1-1 for City Services